REPLACING DECK BEAMS
After 54 years of hard racing and well over two hundred thousand miles of cruising, it was time for a major restoration that includes replacing all of the deck beams, rebuilding the transom and the aft cabin.
Here we are, at The Center for Wooden Boats, replacing one of the longest deck beams, right behind the cockpit where Merry Maiden's beam is almost 13 feet. Note the curved chamber of the beam. This chamber was accomplished by laminating three one inch pieces of white oak with epoxy and formed over a rigid frame.
Note also, the dinghy in the bottom right of the photo. This dinghy was designed by Philip Rhodes and can be seen in the clipping from a Yachting Magazine in 1947.
Click here for other restoration photographs.
A great place to visit is The Center for Wooden Boats.